Dear Finn Masters,
It's been four months since those who went to Barbados arrived home with tales of the high winds, rum great sailing, and rum, but a lot has been going on behind the scenes that we now want to share with you.
1. Firstly the AMM Minutes were published on the Finn Masters website here. Please do read as the decisions taken in Barbados affect everyone attending Finn World Masters events.
2. The 2019 Finn World Masters will be heading to Denmark. This is the first time the Finn World Masters has ever been held in Denmark. Congratulations to the Royal Danish Yacht Club for its succesful bid.
3. A vote was also taken in Barbados to hold an annual Masters European Championship. For the past six years a Euro Cup has been held at Tihany, on Lake Balaton, but everyone felt the time was right to try again and see if there was demand for a second Finn Masters major event. This was passed by those present in Barbados and the first ever Finn Masters European Championship will be held at JK Split in Croatia from 11-14 September 2018. The Notice of Race and other information will be published soon. There is some initial information here.
4. We also have a bid from Gdynia to host the 2020 Finn Masters European Championship. This would be combined with the Senior European Championship and held in September after the Olympic Games.
5. At the AMM in El Balis this year we will be bidding for the 2020 Finn World Masters. 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the Finn World Masters so our feeling is that this should be held in central European venue to maximise entries for a celebration of Finn sailing. Currently we have no bids, so if your club would be interested, please let me know and we can assist.
6. We are also looking for bids for the 2019 Masters European Championship, with a decision to be taken at the AMM in El Balis.
7. Looking further afield we have had tentative bids come in from Pattaya, Thailand, and Antigua for the years 2021-2022. Before we push further ahead with them, we would welcome feedback from sailors on whether they would want to go to these venues, espeicaly Thailand as we have a firm bid document (link above).
Otherwise, I wish you all good sailing, wherever you are.
President, Finn World Masters